SC - Comparitives: East vs West

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Thu Nov 11 07:48:48 PST 1999

>> << what spices flowed through to Western Europe,
>>  before about 1300?  I am talking here of exotic spices, not the native
>>  spices , if there were any (were there?). >>

Cassia and cinnamon were mentioned by St. Isidore, Archbishop of Seville.
In a grant made to a monastery in 716 by Chilperic II, cinnamon and cumin
were included.  In 745, Gemmulus, a Roman deacon, sent pepper and cinnamon
to Boniface, Archbishop of Mayence.  In the 9th century, cloves, pepper,
cinnamon as well as local indigenous plants were used in a monastery in
Switzerland for seasoning fish.  In Charlemagne's royal gardens you would
find fennel and fenugreek.  By the end of the 12th century nutmeg and mace
were to be found in Northern Europe.  Also mentioned in this time period was
coriander.

regards, Puck