SC - Recipe 7-Weekend of Wisdom

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:46:38 PST 1999

>Would this be the same recipe that goes like this in the Eileen Power
>translation?:
>
>Savoury Rice (ris engoulé) for a meat day. Peel it and wash it in two or
>three lots of cold water until the water be quite clear, then half cook it,
>run off the purée and set it on flat trenchers to dry before the fire; then
>cook it until it is very thick, with beef dripping and saffron, if it is a
>meat day; and if that it be a fish day, put not therein dripping but
>instead
>put in almonds well brayed and unstrained; then sugar it and add not
>saffron.
>
>I don´t see any milk mentioned here - seems to me this is partially cooked
>then fried.

I differ on the frying, because of the inclusion of saffron, I think the
beef drippings and saffron are added to water and the rice is cooked in it.
The first step seems to be to get rid of the excess starch and preserve the
grain. (as I think the soaking and washing step in Ras' recipe is for as
well) This makes the rice non-sticky and more "fluffy" for lack of a better
word and it would take the saffron much easier and be more appealing than a
yellow sticky mass flavored with beef drippings.

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

"..."

     Edgar Winter Group -- Frankenstein