SC - Rose petal bread

Stephanie Dale Ross aislinncc at mailcity.com
Tue Nov 16 09:17:15 PST 1999

I also have a recipe for Rose petal bread from the same event as the Payn Pur-Dew, and it looks to be from the same source also, like a magazine of some kind. It is a yeast bread.

Rose-Petal Bread

2 pkg active dry yeast
2 c warm water
6 tbsp honey
7 c unbleached white or whole wheat flour
1 2/3 tbsp coarse salt
6 whole eggs plus one egg yolk
1 c currants, softened in warm water
6 tbsp melted butter
butter for greasing bowls and cookie sheet
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 to one cup finely chopped rose petals (between one and two dozen red roses)
several drops of red food paint, prepared as the medieval baker would, in advance (see page 116) (?)

1. Sprinkle the yeast on 1/2 c of the warm water in a mixing bowl. Stir in the honey. let it stand for 5 minutes.
2. Add the remaining warm water with about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of flour. Beat by hand with a wooden spoon, about 200 strokes. Cover with a damp towel, put in a warm place, and let the dough rise 30 to 45 minutes until it is doubled in bulk.

Oh Sh**! That is all I have of the recipe! No baking instructions, or if it needs a second rise! ( The instructions I pasted to the *back* of the card...) Wish I had noticed that before i typed it all. I'm sure Bear can give us a good approximation of what the end of the recipe should be (please?). Again I left the recipe intact (what I have of it *sigh*) so that someone might remember the source. Maybe a Bon Appetite from 1983? That was the year of the event anyway (and when I graduated high school BTW).

Aislinn
- ---
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
                                   - Elie Wiesel