SC - Re: Apicius site, some thoughts

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Tue Nov 16 11:48:04 PST 1999

Aislinn C. C. wrote:
>I have no idea if it is the same plant used by the Romans. Tannahill
>gives an intriguing process for making liquamen in her book. Would
>modern oyster sauce make a good substitute? Adamantius?

I've never tasted actual Roman style liquamen, but have had various
fish sauces from around 4 different Southeast Asian countries.

I recommend Thai fish sauce (nam pla). Vietnamese fish sauce is a
decent second. I REALLY didn't like the taste of Philippino fish
sauce, nor of Chinese fish sauce. Personal taste.

But i should think, knowing how they and liquamen are made, at least
from reading books, that any of them would be closer to liquamen than
oyster sauce, since it isn't made from fish, and has all sorts of
other additives, whereas the Southeast Asian fish sauces are just
little fish and salt, like liquamen.

Anahita Gauri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi