SC - Ducks and Quinces

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 15:21:08 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/20/99 12:35:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ariann at nmia.com writes:

<<  The featured recipes are
 Fezanjan (Persian, duck in pomegranate juice) >>

Since duck is currently relatively inexpensive (e.g., I bought 2 fresh ducks
this evening at Giant for 1.49/LB), I was wondering if you could possibly
forward me the Fezanjan recipe either to the list for others who may be
interested or privately?

I seldom do 'traditional' things like turkey or ham on a holiday and am doing
a duck this year. I also picked up a couple of pomegranates (expensive) so
the Persian duck recipe would be ideal. All of the recipes appearing in Bon
Appetite, Gourn=met, Martha Stewart and a couple of other magazines are
posted each month to a high volume recipe list that I subscribe to but 'The
Herb Companion' is not one of them. :-( The other duck I am going to use in a
period recipe that I have yet to find. :_)

As a side note, I noticed that even though this is quince season, quinces
were double the price of last year (e.g., 1.49 each). Is this exorbitant
price increase evident in other areas of the USA or even other countries? If
so, does any one know the reason why? Although drought hit our area, apples
were less expensive than normal during season. Quinces grow under the same
conditions as apples and are closely related so I am personally at a loss to
explain this phenomenon.

Ras