SC - Fezanjan, was cinnamon

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Sun Nov 21 16:05:56 PST 1999

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> Since duck is currently relatively inexpensive (e.g., I bought 2 fresh ducks
> this evening at Giant for 1.49/LB), I was wondering if you could possibly
> forward me the Fezanjan recipe either to the list for others who may be
> interested or privately?

Fezanjan

Cornelia Carlson, "Cinnamon", in
"The Herb Companion", December 1997, v. 10, n. 2,  p.22-27.
Yield: 4 servings

2.5 lbs of Duck
   or 2-20 oz game hens
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 three-inch stick of cinnamon
   or cassia bark, or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup pomegranate juice,
   or 1/4 cup of pomegranate concentrate plus 3/4
cup water
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 to 3 teaspoons sugar, to taste
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
4 walnut halves

Remove the neck and giblets and save them for another purpose.  With a
sharp, heavy knife, quarter duck or cut game hens in half lengthwise.
Rinse them inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.  Remove any
visible fat.

In a heavy lidded pan, brown the pieces in the butter, turning frequently,
until golden. Transfer them to a plate.

Saut the onions in the butter until soft. Add the meat and the remaining
ingredients except the walnut halves. Cover the pan and bring the liquid
to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the
meat is tender.  Gently turn the pieces several times during
this period and add water as needed to maintain 1 cup of liquid.

Transfer the meat to a warm platter. Remove as much of the melted fat as
possible with a large spoon or gravy separator.  Measure the remaining pan
juice -- it should be fairly thick.  If it's too thin, boil it down to a
syrupy consistency.

Pour a little juice over the meat and place a walnut half on each piece.
Serve immediately with the extra juice on the side.

The simmering of the meat with fruit juice and nuts reminds me of a
tagine, so I would serve this with basmati rice.

Enjoy

Ariann