SC - Assistance Please - Kiev 1300s feast?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 22 20:21:36 PST 1999

Ras replied to my comments on Russian cookbooks from the 1300s with:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << Not only are there no cookbooks translated into English for that time and
>  place, there don't seem to be any cookbooks for that time and place period.
> >>

> Considering that Communism and it's stranglehold has only recent;y been
> broken in the Eastern nations of Europe, I would think your statement is
> rather broad. Personally, I think that encouraging them to publish and/or
> allow such manuscripts to be published and translated would be far more
> practical than dismissing the possibility of their existence based on
> availability from past repressive regimes......

As the original request was for recipes to be used in the next year or so, I stand
by this statement. Similar statements have been made on this list by Master
Cariadoc and others in the past. Also, I said there don't seem to be any
cookbooks. I didn't say there weren't any cookbooks.

I am well aware that there is much more material available on eastern Europe
now than there was even five years ago. I have often mentioned this to folks
trying to figure out what persona they want to pursue.

> There is at least one group of SCA members in Russia as a request this past
> few months for information on our organization and a request for some sort of
> equipment or what not indicated. They received information and equipment
> needed, SFAIK.
>
> I see no reason why they shouldn't be contacted and specifically asked to see
> if such manuscripts exist. Does anyone have the e-mail addy of the group that
> was posted? I would be more than happy to post them such a request. Such a
> request would be far better than 'supposing' this or that.

Certainly worth looking into. However I wouldn't count on getting anything
significant done in the time frame the original poster was interested in.

Had I wanted to discourage the interest in Kievian cooking, I would hardly
have offered what material I had available.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net