SC - In a Caliph's Kitchen

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 20:00:54 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/23/99 10:30:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at grin.net writes:

<< But I noticed that some folks (in webbed commentaries) said this was
 not a very good book. Will those who are knowledgeable please comment
 on this book? Is it good or is it not useful? What are its bad
 points? its good points? Are there *lots* of errors in the recipe
 translations? Other issues?

 I'm less interested in discussing the author's redactions, since i
 prefer to do my own redactions, although i like seeing someone else's
 to compare with mine. >>

I think the books bad features are the redactions. He, as some other cooks
do, take liberties where none are justified and are definitely unnecessary.
Since redacting period middle eastern is a passion of mine and I have been
told I am good at it by those who actually have eaten them prepared, I found
that particular bugaboo problem enough to not purchase the book. With more
than enough books containing poor redactions, I felt that I couldn't justify
adding another one to my collection. After looking at the redactions, I did
not peruse the volume any further so others will have to comment on the rest
of the work.

Ras