SC - 3 T'day rec's from Phillipa Seton

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 10:51:25 PST 1999

Here are 3 recipes from my Pilgrim's Thanksgiving.  I did a similar menu last
year, but foolishly I didn't save it and I don't rememer what I made.
Phillipa

*********Winter Squash or Pumpkin Soup**********
The Medieval Kitchen
Redon, Sabban, Serventi
University of Chicago Press
1998

SQUASH.    For squash, Peel them and cut them into slices.  Remove the seeds
if there are any and cook them in water in a pan.  Then drain them and rinse
them in cold water.  Squeeze them and chop them finely.  Mix with some beef
and other meat broth and add cow's milk and mix half a dozen egg yolks. Put
through a seive into the broth and milk.  On fast days use the cooking water
from dried peas or almond milk and butter.

5 ½ lbs winter squash or pumpkin
4 C almond milk - made with a little more than 4 cups of water and 2/3 C
almonds
4 Tbsp butter
salt to taste

Peel the squash and remove the seeds.
Cut into 1" chunks and cook on boiling salted water for 10 minutes.
The squash must remain firm and must not fall apart.
Drain and press gently through a seive to remove excess water.
Chop to a coarse puree with a knife or food processor.
Place the puree in a sauce pan, add the almond milk and butter and bring to a
boil.
Check for salt before serving

This is from some recipe data base or other, I am also making a turkey.
*******MUSCOVY DUCK WITH BURGUNDY AND CRANBERRY SAUCE********

2 Muscovy duck breast halves, skin intact       4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. cracked black pepper             Salt to taste
2 Tbs. olive oil

For Marinade:
2 cups Burgundy wine                    2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
4 fresh rosemary sprigs                 1/2 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced                 Black pepper

For Sauce:
3/4 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen            2 Tbs. honey
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into 4 pieces           Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Add duck breasts, cover and
refrigerate     for 6 to 8 hours. Turn duck 2 to 3 times while marinating.

Remove duck breasts and pour marinade through strainer into sauce pan.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and reduce liquid to about 1/2 cup.
Pat breasts dry with paper towels. Season with salt, cracked black pepper,
and garlic. Heat oil in skillet and place breast skin-side down in hot oil.
Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until skin is browned and just a bit crispy.
Flip over and cook other side about 4 to 5 minutes or until medium-rare.
Transfer to cutting board and let stand for a few minutes to firm up before
slicing.

To make sauce,
Add cranberries and honey to marinade, and cook for about 10 minutes more or
until   cranberries soften.
Remove from heat and whisk in chilled butter pieces.
Season with salt and pepper.
Slice duck diagonally, spoon sauce over and serve.

I don't remember where I got this recipe from.... OK, so I'm senile!
.*******FISHMARKET APPLE PIE********

1 premade folded pie crust  2 1/2 LBS macintosh apples, peeled, cored & sliced
1 egg                   1 1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar             1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons vanilla         1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping:
1/2 cup butter          1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar           1/3 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon        1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
 Line a deep dish pie plate with pie crust and form a decorative edge.
In large bowl beat eggs lightly and stir in sour cream, sugar, flour, vanilla
and salt until  smooth.
 Toss in apples and stir to coat.
Spoon into pie shell. Bake 10 minutes.
 Lower oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes.
 Combine butter with rest of ingredients with fork or pastry blender.
Sprinkle topping over pie and bake for 15 minutes.
Cool to room temperature and chill. Serve chilled