SC - Thanksgiving & Cooking gifts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 24 11:59:21 PST 1999

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> So what is everyone's Thanksgiving plans? I know we discussed this
> last year but I have no objections to a tradition forming. And to our
> bretheren overseas, do you wonder what the traditional American
> Thanksgiving meal is? What traditional meals do you eat? What
> were some "traditions" eaten in period?

Well, Papa, my plans are...

1 herald, well basted, to nibble on at my leisure...

Oh! You mean the DINNER!

Turkey, filled with my Magic Dressing (standard bread dressing with lots
of onions, fresh herbs, currants, cranberries, mushrooms, celery, maybe
some cress, and either walnuts or pecans), and with springs of sage and
rosemary tucked under the skin

Mashed potatoes, skins on, with an egg and lots of butter and pepper
beaten in

Fresh cranberry sauce- with cinnamon, nutmeg, a little mace, some
allspice, LOTS of orange peel, sugar, cooked until the skins pop and it
starts to 'set up'

GRAVY. Yum. TO HELL WITH MY DIET! IT'S THANKSGIVING!

Some spinach/mushroom/cheese tarts.

Veggie platter with dressing

Armoured turnips if I get ambitious

Eggnog
Cider for kids, booze for the cooks

My Pumpkin Pie (former SO declared it 'To Die For') with whipped cream

Oh man, now I'm hungry, and the kitchen is still a mess! Oh well, the
slaves- er, kids get home from school at 3:30. I'll put them to work.

Tra la la! James will be here again tonight! Just in time for 'West
Wing', he thinks, and plenty of time to help my mess up the kitchen
again!

Yes folks, I am utterly besotted with this man... he's a keeper.

Have a Happy Holiday everyone!

'Lainie