SC - Random excursion in to salad recipes - oop

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Nov 25 16:53:50 PST 1999

Maeve wrote:
>So does the Watergate salad have gelatin in it?  That sounds like it fits
>the side or dessert dish more than a Waldorf salad.

The recipes I had seen are fairly similar to the one Mordonna posted -
although most have mini-marshmallows instead of flaked coconut, and crushed
pineapple instead of chunks. And this is as completely alien to me -
especially as a side dish - as - well, as whey-preserved ram´s testicles or
some other Icelandic delicacy is to the rest of you. Ah well. This is
something I will probably never understand. Cultural differences, and all
that. (Even the name "congealed salad" looks terribly unappetizing to me.)

On the other hand I´m quite familiar with Waldorf salad, it is quite common
here as a side dish, especially at Christmas - apples, walnuts, celery,
grapes, mayonnaise, sour cream. No raisins, though, and certainly no
marshmallows.

Nanna