SC - Marmalade

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 18:55:04 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/27/99 2:39:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:

<< I cut back by half on the
 pepper as modern tastes are not  used to odd Tudor spicing. >>

This is debatable besides the amount of pepper called for in the recipe
doesn't seem overly much considering the amounts of the other ingredient used.

<>

So basically you used the recipe as an inspirational source for a more modern
type recipe? Is this correct? I have never seen a need, personally, to modify
spices in a period recipe to suit 'modern' tastes. Anyone who eats India
food, Portuguese, Middle Eastern, Spanish, Chinese, Thai, Tex-Mex or Mexican
cuisine should have no problem with medieval cuisine.

In my experience and the experience of many other successful kitchen stewards
on this list and off, the term 'modern taste' is a non-issue when it concerns
medieval cookery (or historical cookery of any time for that matter). Most
often it is a perceived 'problem' that has little validity in real feast
situations. I would encourage to try redacting some recipes as they were
written sometime and see the wonderful and tasty dishes that can result with
no thought to 'modern taste.' I'm sure you will be in for a very pleasant
surprise, :-)

Unfortunately, trying to redact this recipe as it was written is beyond my
purse strings this year with 20 quinces running 30 dollars US. :-( If you
don't mind I will save both the original recipe and your redaction for future
experimentation.

Ras