SC - Assistance Please - Kiev 1300s feast?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 27 21:43:59 PST 1999

Yana outlined some of the information she knew of Russian archives:

> Well, here are the facts as I know them:
> My husband (a university professor, if that matters) specifically looked
> for information on SCA-period Russian culture, including food, when he was
> doing research.  He checked the holdings of the Russian State Archive for
> Ancient Acts (RGADA, in Russian) for this information.  RGADA is the place
> where all pre-Petrine (Peter the Great) documents are kept.  There
> unfortunately are NOT any cookbooks, per se.  And there are not likely any
> reasons why the Communists would have held back on publishing a cookbook.

Maybe. Maybe not. I remember reading in the recently published book on
medieval Polish food:
> Food and Drink in Medieval Poland : Rediscovering a Cuisine of the Past
> by Maria Dembinska, Magdalena Thomas (Translator), William Woys Weaver
> (Editor) (Philadephia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1999); ISBN:
> 0812232240. List price is $29.95.

that Maria Dembinska did have some trouble publishing her research on
medieval Polish food. The manuscript for the book had to be smuggled out of
Poland. The description of her troubles, described in the introduction,
is one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" tales. Perhaps the fact
that Poland was recently a satelite of Russia would make a difference.
But I can easily see where the obstacles she faced and the opposition
she faced from her government would also have been faced by others
under the Russian Communist government.

Thank you Yana for posting this information. I just think your
statement on Communist thinking follows too logical a path to be
completely true.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net