SC - organ meats

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 27 21:59:34 PST 1999

Akim Yaroslavich commented:
>  Tripe, souse and pig trotters.  I am sure that all of
> these are very period and documentable somewhere.  Does anyone else want to
> explore this subject?

Actually we have discussed a fair number of medieval recipes that had
various organ meats in them. Convincing the rest of the SCA to sample
them, like fish, may vary from region to region. Although some on this
list seem to manage quite well.

You may be interested in some of the comments and recipes in this file
in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
organ-meats-msg   (37K)  8/31/99    Period cooking of organ meats.

Although you seem to have much of this well in hand, perhaps these two
additional files might also be of interest:
food-sources-msg  (36K)  3/19/99    Modern sources for unusual medieval meats
                                       and other foods.
exotic-meats-msg  (49K)  4/ 1/99    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                       eels, peacocks, crawfish, dormice, snails
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net