SC - SC: Re: Marmalade

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun Nov 28 13:12:13 PST 1999

Elysant wrote:
>I'd learned as a child that the word "Marmalade" originally came from
"Marie
>malade" (sick Mary) because Marmalade was regularly made for Mary Queen of
>Scots by her nurse (or cook possibly?) to keep her healthy (she was always
>sickly apparently).  I'm wondering if anyone knows if this tale is true or
>not?

Marmalade originally meant "quince jam" and comes via French from Portuguese
marmelada (marmelo = quince). The earliest English reference to marmalade is
from 1524 (18 years before the birth of Queen Mary), when one box of
marmalade was presented to the king by "Hull of Exeter". The term seems
mainly to refer to quince jam throughout the 16th century.

Nanna