SC - OT - Antopodean Holidays

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 14:42:21 PST 1999

- --- Glenda Robinson <glendar at compassnet.com.au> wrote:
> I was just thinking, if Americans have Turkey at
> Thanksgiving, what do you
> eat on Christmas Day? Turkey is one of the primary
> meats for our Christmas
> celebrations, whether we have a hot or a cold meal.
> (There's a thought - bet
> you don't know what Aussies eat on Christmas Day -
> seeing as how it's
> usually approaching 100F).
>
> Glenda

Well, 25 years ago, I spent 6 weeks in Melbourne with
a penpal.  I was there from mid-December to the end of
January, so I spent Christmas with them.  Coming from
a German/Dutch family, it was quite a treat for me to
experience an English/Scottish type Christmas.  We had
roast goose, roast beef with Yorkshire pudding,
haggis,
baked turnips, and other stuff I can't remember
anymore.  For dessert, we had plum pudding (with
little trinkets baked in it, I found an old English
thruppense in my piece), mincemeat pies, an English
Christmas Cake, and Pavlova.

That Christmas was about 95 deg. F, which for me,
being
a California Girl, was not unusual for me.  My friends
explained to me that the Ozzie Santa wore a red velvet
and white fur trimmed bathing suit, and spent
Christmas Day sunning himself on the beach, before
going back to the North Pole.

So, yes, this Yank does know that Ozzies eat for
Christmas.

Huette