SC - Help for Novices - was Recipes 5 & 6

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 30 21:00:20 PST 1999

Bonne said:
> Juliana suggests some sort of "Welcome Wagon" type post be sent to newcomers
> on the SCA-cooks list
>
> Most of the sorts of basic queries, curiosities and wonderings of those new
> to the cooks list can be satisfied by "Stefan's Flori-thingy", more
> correctly known as Stefan's Florilegium (I seem to be one of the few that
> can spell it without fear) located at www.florilegium.org.
>
> SCA-cooks isn't the only list Stefan collects information from, so this
> advice applies to most any SCA sub-culture as well as general SCA
> information.  The groupings and sub-groupings are mostly logical, though
> sometimes you do find things where you don't expect or can't find things in
> a spot that seems sensible to you.  Feel free to ask the list, or Stefan for
> advice when this happens.

Thank you, Bonne.

If you find a file in an area when you think it should more appropriately
be in another area, please feel free to email me about it. I try to
organize things in a logical order. Sometimes it is difficult to decide
which area is the best one to place a file in. The Florilegium is a constantly
changing resource as new files get added and old ones spin off new files, so
this problem is not going to go away. While I try to organise things as the
general SCA member might think of them, rather than the expert in a field,
sometimes I may miss the mark. Sometimes when I create a new section I may
forget to move a file that should be moved to the new area.

I can make a single file exist in more than one section and have considered
this. Unfortunately, a goodly number of the sections already have a lot of
files in them and I decided it would not be a good idea to clutter them
further.

I don't get many specific suggestions or comments. Any I get, I will listen to.

If you find a bad link on the site, please send me email. With the large
numbers of files being modified and added all the time, I cannot always
test things as thoroughly as I would like. It is real disappointing to
find that people have been unable to get to a file for six months because
no one pointed this out to me. I don't know then whether no one cared
to look for the file or whether no one just bothered to tell me they
couldn't find it.

And as Bonne mentioned, if you can't seem to find a topic in the Florilegium,
please let me know. I may have some information under a different filename
than what you would think of. And it's also possible that I don't have any
info on that topic. But that would make me aware of it and I would then
keep my eyes open for information on that topic.

At one time I thought this list prepared an SCA-Cooks-FAQ that was to
be sent to each new list member. Did this not get implemented? I saved
one of the early copies of this file posted to this list with the idea
of possibly adding it to the Florilegium simularly to what I have done
with the Rialto-FAQ. However, I have not done this yet.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net