SC - Pompeii in LA

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 02:52:40 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> You cooked the wafers the day before the feast? How did you serve them? Did
> you serve them cool? I had gotten the idea that wafers should be served
> warm and fresh, so I hadn't considered it workable for a normal SCA feast.

Think in terms of how wafers are made, and their overall mass to volume
ratio. They cool off pretty quickly, and a wafer iron makes one, or a
couple, at a time, and as a period cooking utensil probably was fairly
specialized and probably not especially cheap. Then you make them in
batches and, as seems to be documented in many cases, go out and hawk
them on the street like many another specialty merchant.

I don't know they'd have been eaten days old, but I imagine getting them
in quantity where all of them are hot off the irons is unlikely.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com