SC - Italian pasta in ancient recipes?

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Fri Oct 1 19:27:02 PDT 1999

Elizabeth/Betty Cook wrote:
>Here is a late-period recipe for Indian flat breads we have done in a
>frying pan over the fire at Pennsic.
>
>Bread
>Ain i Akbari
>
>There is a large kind, baked in an oven, made of 10 s. flour; 5 s. milk; 1
>1/2 s. ghi; 1/4 s. salt. They make also smaller ones. The thin kind is
>baked on an iron plate. One ser will give fifteen, or even more. There are
>various ways of making it; one kind is called chapati, which is sometimes
>made of khushka; it tastes very well when served hot. ["s." stands for ser;
>1 ser = 2 lb 2 oz.]

Gee, this is making me nostalgic. When i lived in LA in the 1970's,
attending UCLA, my apt. had an early 1950's gas stove with a "griddle in
the middle". The griddle wasn't working when i moved in, but i took the
stove top apart, cleaned everything up well, and, voila! fully functioning
griddle (seems everything was rather jammed with old grease).  The stove
also had those iron thingies over the burners, supposed to diffuse the
heat, but they were *exactly* the size of a corn tortilla, just perfect for
warming them up. I thought about taking the stove with me when i moved
out...

I often made chapatis for breakfast, cooked on the griddle. Simple, easy,
tasty, filling, and they go well with so many different kinds of food.
Ididn't use milk as this very old recipe does, though. I used just enough
butter water.

Since i eat a fair amount of Asian foods, there's often left-over rice (was
then, still is now), so i'd cook it with milk or coconut milk, and brown
sugar or palm sugar (from the Thai market - super yummy), a couple real
cinnamon sticks (not cassia), a few cloves, occasionally a dash of pandan
leaf extract.

And a big mug of coffee from freshly ground beans (stop that! you know i
mean coffee beans!).

So, can you please tell us what is this source of these late-period Indian
recipes?

Anahita