SC - Sorry, but, WAY OOP

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 19:31:48 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/1/99 9:22:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
maryhh at exploremaine.com writes:

<< I have been reading/lurking for some time now and I think the list has the
 resources to answer my questions. >>

Possibly. :-) Guinea Pigs are not WAY out of period. They were eaten and
known at the time of the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire onwards. Well
within SCA period.

<<Does anyone have any recipes for guinea pig/cavy?>>

Actually this has been discussed on this list before and I have all the posts
stored on one of the several hundred unlabeled unorganized discs I have.
However, if MY Memory Elysant serves me right, I recall that milady Brighid
did post an actual recipe at the time.

<<hat does it taste like? >>

Chicken. :-) Actually it tastes closer to pork than chicken but can best be
described as tasting like guinea pig.

<< I understand they are a South American delicacy. >>

Don't know if it is a 'delicacy' in South America but it was the only
domesticated animal raised specifically for food by the Inca SFAIK.

The only 'recipe' I personally remember many details about consisted of a
casserole of stewed unknown stuff over which the guinea pig, having been
cleaned but NOT skinned was cut into chunks and the chunks were put in a
layer over top of the stew. After cooking it was eaten by lifting the chunks
of guinea pig by the fur and sucking off the meat.

Hope this helps.

Ras