SC - wafers

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Oct 2 22:43:53 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/2/1999 4:20:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de writes:

<<
 Then: one of his main claims, that ancient "lagana" are the same as
 later italian "lasagne", seems to be doubtful. According to the Latin
 dictionary of Georges, "laganum" has two uses: 1) 'dünner Ölkuchen,
 Ölplatz, in Öl gebackene Plinse, als leichte Speise für Kranke (Celsus);
 als Speise für Ärmere (Horaz). 2) 'das Blatt, die Lage eines aus
 mehreren Schichten (Lagen) bestehenden Kuchens (Apicius). (roughly:
 'thin cake, baked in oil' (Celsus, Horaz), 'sheet of dough' (Apicius)).
 André, in his edition of Apicius, says _laganum_ 'feuille de pâte'
 ('sheet of dough'). The etymological dictionary of Italian of
 Cortelazzo/ Zolli does not mention a connection between lat. _laganum_
 and it. _lasagne_.  >>

Hmmm, of course, my homemade lasagne noodles are made from a "sheet of
dough"...........but of course, that means nothing.........I'm sure your
source is impeccably accurate........can't really tell, must depend on your
translation..............

Mordonna