SC - Master Huen's Feast

Peters, Rise J. rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com
Mon Oct 4 09:19:59 PDT 1999

Liam Fisher wrote:

> Could someone post (or repost) the recipe?  I'm curious and I want to play
> with it, I'm wondering if it isn't more a function of what stage the sugar
> as been brought to than anything else?
>
> >I've never been able to get them very large either, though, as once they
> >reach a certain size (about that of Grape Nuts cereal -- you know, the
> >stuff Madeline Pellner Cosman makes frumenty out of) the extra sugar
> >seems to break off and form seedless confits of its own. Very strange.
>
> Sugar is fun, it has weird properties at the various stages. I'd need to see
> the recipe (original too, if I need translation help, I'll ask)
> and play with it for a bit to see how it can be done and then post my
> results here of course.

I had great difficulty grasping the concept too, but you see, there are
no stages involved. The sugar starts out at candy height, hard crack,
and remains that way. As I say, it's pretty much anhydrous: no water is
involved. You dry your seeds (one ounce) in a pan, remove them from the
pan, melt a measured amount (an ounce) of sugar over low heat, and the
sugar coats the seeds and cools on contact with the cooler seeds. You
toss them as they continue to cool, which keeps them separate. You them
remove the coated seeds from the pan, melt another ounce of sugar, and
coat them again. Repeat until the seeds are as coated as you want them
to be, but I've found it's difficult to get them to exceed a certain
size. There may be some trick none of the recipes I've seen detail, but
then we wouldn't know for sure what it is.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com