SC - Hauviette's Confits

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 10:52:49 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << Have you tried this on an open fire arrangement?  >>
>
> Not all cooking was done on an open fire or even in a fire place in the MA.
> There are pictures of a large centralized flat surfaced cooking areas with
> places underneath where the fire was started to heat the flat surface.<<<SNIP>>>

<Then Adamantius>
The 15th-century English recipe (which I've seen posted on this list,
but which I don't think I have on disk, and the seventeenth-century
recipe is just too flamin' long to input just now) specifies either a
furnace (in other words, a small, enclosed heat source; too high a heat
would caramelize the sugar before it fully melted) or a stove, similar
to a furnace in medieval cooks' terms but with even gentler heat.

14th (15th) Century references to brewing pots of enormous size use the word 'furnace'.  The large iron pots would certainly be unwieldy, but the term could, perhaps, refer to the same configuration on smaller scale:  an iron pot that is rounded in the bottom with highish sides that sits above the heat source.

niccolo