SC - Hauviette's Confits

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 11:58:57 PDT 1999

>The 15th-century English recipe (which I've seen posted on this list,
>but which I don't think I have on disk, and the seventeenth-century
>recipe is just too flamin' long to input just now) specifies either a
>furnace (in other words, a small, enclosed heat source; too high a heat
>would caramelize the sugar before it fully melted) or a stove, similar
>to a furnace in medieval cooks' terms but with even gentler heat.

I'd like to experiement with it for a while and see what's up.  I used to do
a lot of rock candy and such in ages past and I want to see if I can get
them to the described size without caramelizing it.

> > Of course, someone interested in making these medicines themselves
>should by
> > all means try to perfect the technique. Candy making is an art in
>itself.
> > IIRC, Dame Alys has made an extensive study of this area and has
>published
> > several articles on it.

where?  how can I get them?

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

" The autumn air thickly fills my lungs so sweetly
  Reminds me of her smoky breath with wine
  And this boquet of maple and oak leaves..."

            Type O Negative -- "Creepy Green Light"