SC - Brewers and Vinters needed tasters too.

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 05:34:38 PDT 1999

Hullo, the list!

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something here that would help explain this
phenomenon, but I'm a little concerned about this.

Could we perhaps not force people into a defensive stance when they're
nice enough to post a recipe? Yes, it would be nice if the recipes
people posted were suitably period for SCA use, but not everyone on this
list is a member of the SCA, and we do occasionally venture into
non-period interests. Even Twinkies.

I'm not advocating anybody presenting anything as period that isn't, but
a knee-jerk response that Ingredient X could not have been period for
reason Y is probably not the best reaction to somebody simply describing
something nice that they cooked, and there's no reason why someone
should apologize for a recipe that produces good food and took some
trouble to post. Apart from simply asking, once, "Does this recipe come
from a period source?", and receiving the answer, "No", I can't imagine
any reason not to just get on with life.

Of course, if we all _really_ felt that people shouldn't post such
recipes, we could just say that, but I really don't think this is the
case, and I think this list would be much the poorer for such a restriction.

I apologize for feeling curmudgeonly this morning. I consider this an
aberration of group behavior, am not pointing the finger at any
individual, and if I didn't have such great respect for this group I
wouldn't hold out hopes of changing a group dynamic I consider unworthy
of us.

Thanks for your time, folks!

Adamantius
- --