SC - Sauce recipe for Lamb Shanks

Craig Jones & Melissa Hicks meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Wed Oct 6 12:42:14 PDT 1999

Adamantius wrote:
>On the other hand, considering all the Chinese that
>actually escaped the new Communist regime to Cuba and Brazil in 1949
>(imagine their surprise when Castro showed up!) this isn't so odd after
>all. But, again, it resulted in another interesting hybrid cuisine
>(Chinese restaurants that serve bread on the table as soon as you walk
>in, routinely serve cafe con leche, etc.) It's not just that they serve
>foods from both types of cuisine, although that's true. There's a
>distinctive difference in both cooking style and presentation, probably
>because of isolation from the mainstream culture that inspired it.

Ah, memories.

Back in 1967 (The Summer of Love) a Hungarian (reputed to be an
anti-Communist gun runner) took me to a restaurant on the Lower East Side
of New York City called "China de Cuba" - black beans and rice served with
the Chinese dishes.

In 1972, when i went to Japan, we flew on a Brazilian airline, Varig. The
stewardesses were Brazilian Japanese. Many of the passengers were Japanese.
They talked to the stewardesses in Japanese. Most of the stewardesses could
only speak Brazilian Portuguese. (Yes, *stewardesses*. This was 1972 --
before "flight attendents" were a mix of males and females, young and old.
Back then, when you were 25 or 26, you were already "too old", and you were
relieved of you in-flight duties). They served Kobe beef, from those
hand-massaged, beer-fed steers. It was real tender.

Anahita