SC - Grewe's Almohade Cookbook edition

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Wed Oct 6 16:04:10 PDT 1999

Let me mention two types of sources (I'll give an example for every
type):

1. Travelogues

There are many medieval and early modern (nautical) travelogues
mentioning aspects of food and nutrition. E.g. (I mentioned this example
a few months ago): Balthasar Springer sailed with a portuguese crew from
Lisbon to Cochin and Calicut and came by the Cape of good hope twice. In
his travelogue (printed 1509), he mentions that they landed at the Algoa
Bay and that they bought oxen, cows and sheep from the people there to
provide the ship with food ("da funden wir wassers genuog Ochssen Kuw
vnd Schaf/ vnd verkaufften vns die Moren genuog vmb ein wenig alts
eysens: vnd wolten sunst anders nicht haben/ wir speissten vnser Schife
do mit groser meng fleisch vnd wassers").

Another aspect is, that travellers/ sailors made their remarks about the
foreign cuisines they came across, see e.g.:
- -- Paviot, J.: Cuisine grecque et cuisine turque selon l'expérience des
voyageurs (XVe-XVIe siècles). In: Bryer, A./ Ursinus, M. (eds.):
Manzikert to Lepanto. The Byzantine World and the Turks 1071-1571.
Amsterdam 1991 (Byzantinische Forschungen 16).
- -- Gillet, Ph.: Par mets et par vins. Voyages et gastronomie en Europe,
XVIe-XVIIe siècles. Paris 1985.
- -- The description of making sort of 'bread' in Guinea by Samuel Brun in
his 'Schiffarten' (1624, 70f.) [should be interesting for the bread
historians; see also the introduction of Hirschberg to the facsimile, p.
XIX., where he mentions several other texts describing the near
relatives to bread found by sailors.]
- -- Not to mention the detailed account on cannibalism in the travelogue
of Hans Staden 1557 and others.

2. Medical books for travellers/sailors/passengers on ships

It seems, that there were special books that gave advice what to eat and
what not to eat on a travel or on a ship, e.g.:

- -- Schorer, Ch.: Medicina Peregrinantium, Oder Artzney der Raisenden
worinnen begriffen/ wie sich die Raisenden in Essen und Trincken/ etc.
verhalten/ vnd zugleich allerley Kranckheiten begegnen sollen (...). Ulm
1666. Roughly: 'Med. Per. or medicine for travellers, containing advice,
how the travellers should deal with (?) eating and drinking etc., and
how they can deal with all sorts of illness. Ulm 1666 (seems to be the
second ed.).

Then, there are the dictionaries (incl. the nautical dictionaries), the
cookery books and the nautical handbooks (e.g. Furttenbach, Architectura
navalis, 1629), one _could_ check ... But I won't bother you with that.

Let us know, what you find!

Cheers,
Thomas