SC - Red Sandalwood (Sanders) ,(was [TY] cooking query)

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 12:41:54 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/07/1999 10:56:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rhiannon at madcelt.com writes:

<<
 I had never even heard of ramp till I moved to Georgia.  Here, there's stuff
 that grows wild in my yard that my husband refers to as ramp.  He claims you
 can cook with it, but as I said, I've never heard of this stuff.  Now, I'm
 catching up on this list, and I've come across a reference Adamantius made
 to ramp, and I'm wondiring if anyone can tell me what ramp is, if it's
 probable that it's the stuff growing in my yard, and if there are any
 applications in period cooking.

 Thanks a bunch,
 Rhiannon C. >>
    Rhiannon, to the best of my understanding ramps are different from the
stuff growing in our yards around here, which I've always heard called simply
"wild onions." I have the vague impression that ramps grow at higher
elevations, possibly just because of the "Ramp Festival" I remember hearing
about up on a mountain in the Smokies somewhere. And yes, the wild onions in
our yards are indeed edible, but the are so strongly flavored that I wouldn't
advise using them raw (In salads, etc.). I think I'd use them in something
that required long, gentle cooking, perhaps a stew of some kind. They are one
of the things I've been meaning to play with someday, and haven't quite
gotten around too yet........... ;-)

        Ldy Diana, only a couple of hours north of Rhiannon, in Chattanooga