SC - Sauce recipe for lamb shanks

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 19:59:12 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/7/1999 7:56:10 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
rhiannon at madcelt.com writes:

<<  I'm wondiring if anyone can tell me what ramp is, if it's
 probable that it's the stuff growing in my yard, and if there are any
 applications in period cooking.

Ramp is a green vegetable similar in appearance to greens like mustard,
turnips, spinach, or kale.  If you live in the Southeastern United States,
the green stuff in your yard could be ramp, or it could be poke sallet, which
has too much oxalic acid at some times of the year.  I would not try eating
it until you find out from an extension agent what it really is.  If it is
ramp, try "frying" it up in a hot pan with a little oil and salt, then adding
a bit of vinegar when it wilts.  Delicious!  You can also cook poke sallet
the same way at the right time of year, but I've forgotten WHEN it is safe.
I'm sure someone else on this list can tell you, though

Mordonna