SC - Food in high medieval theology (new book)

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Fri Oct 8 13:57:36 PDT 1999

Mordonna wrote:

>If you live in the Southeastern United States,
the green stuff in your yard could be ramp, or it could be poke sallet,
which
has too much oxalic acid at some times of the year.  I would not try eating
it until you find out from an extension agent what it really is.  ...SNIP...
Delicious!  You can also cook poke sallet
the same way at the right time of year, but I've forgotten WHEN it is safe.
I'm sure someone else on this list can tell you, though. <

Poke weed is safest in the spring, though I always cook it in two waters as
I was taught. I tends to grow in poor ground, and is easy to tell from other
plants, since it has a bright red stem. I usually look for it in the fall,
when it's a big bush with bright red stems and berries, and come back for it
in the spring and harvest it then.

Once you've cooked it in two waters, then you can do pretty much what you
want with it- Mordonna's suggestion was great. It's sometimes called "Poor
Man's Asparagus".

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio