SC - Food in high medieval theology (new book)

Victoria Wilson chaoscat at in-tch.com
Fri Oct 8 15:14:51 PDT 1999

I thought I'd peek my head in and offer a recipe from Le Menagier.

Cameline Sauce

In addition to mustard, cameline sauce is a common  recipe found in “Le
Viander de Taillevent”(1380), “Le Menagier de Paris”(1393), “The Forme of
Cury, A Roll of Ancient English Cookery (1390).  This condiment is  used to
accompany  cooked meats and poultry and has a poignant taste reminiscent of
modern day “steak sauce”. The following is an exerp from “Le Menagier de
Taillevent”;

Note that at Tournay to make cameline they bray ginger, cinnamon and saffron
and half a nutmeg moistened with wine, then take it out of the mortar, then
have white breadcrumbs, not toasted but moistened them with wine strain them,
then boil all together and put brown sugar last of all and that  is winter
cameline. And in summer they do the same, but it is not boiled.
And in truth, to my taste, the winter sort is good but in (summer) that which
followeth is far better, bray a little ginger and a great deal of cinnamon,
then take it out and have toasted bread moistened, or  plenty of bread
raspings in vinegar, brayed and strained.

I have taken some liberty in combining two aspects of the above recipe.
Firstly, I have used the boiling method and use of wine of the first recipe,
and secondly I utilized the spice content of the latter recipe. I have also
canned the end product using modern methods, with excellent results.

In practice
1tsp ground ginger      2 tbsp verjuice or lemon juice
3tsp ground cinnamon        1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/3 cup white wine      1/4 cup white bread crumbs
3 tbsp brown sugar(packed)

Mix all ingredients. Strain the mixture through a fine seive, pressing down
with a spoon to extract as much of the liquid as possible. Boil the liquid
about 5 minutes. You can now can the sauce or use it immediately

Hauviette