SC - ramp

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Fri Oct 8 17:31:54 PDT 1999

- --- Thomas Gloning
<Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de> wrote:
> Would or could some kind soul say a few words about
> the following
> edition:

I wish I could, but my linguistic skills are
non-existant.

> -- Maestro Martino da Como, Libro de arte
> coquinaria. A cura di E.
> Montorfano e con introduzione di E. Travi. Milano
> 1990.

This is available in the Library of Congress, the
Folger Library, in Washington DC, Harvard Univ.
Library, and NY Public.  It has no ISBN.

> Should be a facsimile of the 15th-century manuscript
> in the Library of
> Congress together with a transcription. [I am aware
> of the edition in
> Faccioli (1966), the modern Italian rendering on the
> basis of another
> manuscript in Bertoluzza (1993) and the re-edition
> of the Faccioli-text
> together with the Platina-facsimile, that appeared
> in Udine in 1994.]

This last book:

Martino, da Como, 15th cent.
  Libro de arte coquinaria / Martino de Como ;
premessa e commenti de Paolo Micoli.  Udine : Societa
filologica friulana : Arti grafiche friulane, 1994.

No ISBN

was published with a Platina facsimile and without.

Without is availabe in Harvard Univ. Library and Yale
Univ. Library.

Maestro Martino has also been translated into Spanish
in 1997/1998, in this book:

Cruz Cruz, Juan.
  La cocina mediterranea en el inicio del Renacimiento
/ Juan Cruz Cruz.  Huesca [Spain] : La Val de Onsera,
1997 [1998].
  415 p.
  ISBN 8488518390

This contains a translation of Maestro Martino and of
Roberto de Nola, 15th cent. "Libro de guisados,
manjares y potajes" [1529] in Spanish.

Only Library of Congress has this book.

Roberto de Nola also wrote a book called "Libro de
cozina" in 1525.

Roberto de Nola's various books can be found in UC
Berkeley, UC Davis, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, U.
of Penn. U. of Iowa, U. of Minnesota, and several
other university libraries.

> It seems to me that Maestro Martino plays not a very
> important role in
> reenactment activities, while Platina, who heavily
> relied on Martino, is
> mentioned more often, and while Maitre Chiquart, who
> seems to be of the
> same calibre as Martino, is sort of a hero of 15th
> century cuisine. Is
> it due to the (lack of) English translation(s) we
> have?

I think that is exactly it.  We cannot use, study or
quote that which we cannot read.

> Cheers,
> Thomas
> PS.: Is the Perry-translation of the