SC - Maestro Martino da Como

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 9 06:04:40 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Oh? So what is this regional variant on scallions and shallots? I think
> they are some kind of green onion but that's all I know. How are they
> different and the same? What regional variant in the names are you
> speaking of?

Okay...let's see now... Scallions are green onions, maybe a foot long,
with a small white bulb at the root end and a chive-like network of
hollow green leaves. Some people use them as a substitute for chives.
I've seen "Texas" scallions, a.k.a. Elephant Scallions, which may or may
not come from Texas. As might be guessed, these are larger than the more
standard type, because we all know everything is larger in Texas. (I'd
be interested in seeing a Weight Watchers meeting...then again, maybe not!)

Shallots are small, usually sorta purple, clustered/modular onion-y
units, a little like a head of garlic, but with larger individual
"cloves". They're richer and more flavorful than most onions, but not as
penetrating as garlic. Among other uses, they feature frequently in a
number of French sauces and other basic preparations, such as duxelles,
a flavoring/stuffing/sauce made from minced and cooked mushrooms and
shallots. It ends up in unexpected places.

However, in some parts of the USA, particularly those parts of the South
where French is still sometimes spoken, there seems to be a tendency to
refer to scallions or green onions as shallots. Maybe standard shallots
don't grow there, and the best substitute became known by their name?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com