SC - Scone Recipe - OOP (Was: Graham Flour)

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Oct 9 12:08:47 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Several people have asked that I put the recipe for the Cameline Sauce that I
made at Pennsic on the list.  So here it is. :-)  Sorry to be a "spoon tease"
;-).

The recipe was from Le Viandier de Taillevant, translation by Elizabeth
Bennett.
It is to be found in Cariadoc's second volume of Medieval and Rennaissance
Cookbooks (Seventh Edition).

When I actually made the sauce, I was working straight from the text itself,
and did not have time to write anything down, so the amounts quoted in the
recipe below are as I remember them.  Also, please know that I was making an
amount of sauce for a small side dish, which perhaps would have been
sufficient for about 4 people in my estimation.

Elysant

"UNBOILED SAUCES AND HOW ONE MAKES THEM.

TO MAKE CAMELINE SAUCE.  Take ginger, cinnamon, and a lot of cloves, grains
of paradise, mastic, long pepper if you like; then soak bread in vinegar, and
take it out, and salt to taste."

Recipe

1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves (whole)
1/2 teaspoon grains of paradise
1/4 teaspoon mastic
2 medium long peppers
1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
1 cup red wine vinegar
salt to taste

Grind all spices with a mortar and pestle.  Empty the spices into a bowl, and
add the breadcrumbs and vinegar.  Stir.  Let the sauce mixture sit for about
5 minutes, then pour it  through a sieve into a second bowl, working the
bread/spice mixture as much as possible through the sieve with the back of a
spoon in a firm stroking motion (be sure to add the sieved mixture from the
underside of the sieve to the sauce in the bowl).  To finish the recipe,
taste the sauce, and add salt as needed.

Notes:   - The fine breadcrumbs were prepared from a dried white bread loaf.
         - The finished sauce was added to Ras's recipe for diced Lamb's
               Testicles just before the dish was served.