SC -lavendar harvest

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sun Oct 10 17:20:28 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/8/99 5:18:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de writes:

<< seems to me that Maestro Martino plays not a very important role in
 reenactment activities, >>

I agree, I believe this is because of our "predecessors" (there are so many
to be grateful to, I have not begun to list them), those who brought cooking
to higher heights introduced us to Le menagier, Taillevent and the likes. As
a matter of fact, I have a copy of "
A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks" first compiled by  His
Grace, Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow and The Duchess Diana Alena. I cut my
teeth on it and so did most people who began working with actual manuscripts
for reproducing medieval cooking in the SCA vs what we thought was medieval.
Having an actual manuscript copy on hand is not only inspiring, it resulted
in so many of us developing an understanding of the Medieval Cook as we knew
it. Now we will have to explore more and to coin a phrase "Go where no cook
has gone before". I have recently come in contact with the manuscript you
highlite. It is intriguing and I believe I will begin working with the
recipes soon. I am currently on a jag with Apicius, who's book (namesake
really), I believe merits discussion in our field of study.

Well, that's my two cents worth.Now it's time for me to quit talking and get
to redacting!!!

 *BIG GRINS*

Hauviette d'Anjou