SC - Milham Version of Platina

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Tue Oct 12 17:36:35 PDT 1999

Huette von Ahrens wrote (regarding baumkuchen/strauben):
>Sort of.  It is hard to tell.  There are similarities
>and there are some differences.  I have only looked at
>Sabrina Welserin.

>The first recipe #161 To bake white Strauben, uses
>bake in the title, but is unclear in recipe.

Actually, the same word can be translated either bake or fry and needs to
be translated in the context of the recipe. In this case, I really did mean
to go back and change it to fry because:

>161 To bake white Strauben
>
>Take egg whites, well beaten, and some wheat flour,
>make a thin batter out of it, and let it run through a
>skimming ladle. Turn the Strauben at once in the fat.
>Wind them around a rolling pin, then they become
>curved.

Welser indicates that the strauben should be turned once in the fat -
sounds like frying to me. I'm going to keep my eye open for anything that
looks like baumkuche. Besides #185 (the white strauben that is shaped to
resemble Hohlippen) there are is the recipe for holliplen (or Hohlhippen)
that is shaped like a tube around a metal form.

190   To fry small holliplen

	Take good flour, the best that you can get, as much as you would like to
make, and put some water, sugar and pepper thereon. Also melt a little
butter in a small pan and pour it also therein, but it should not be hot,
but just as it is about to harden up again, then the holliplen will be more
easily released from the iron mold. And make the batter about the same
thickness as Strauben batter. You should also pour rose water into it. And
fry them on a cast iron mold. Grease the iron also with butter.

Valoise