SC - A Winter food

Victoria Wilson chaoscat at in-tch.com
Tue Oct 12 23:34:31 PDT 1999

Begga Elisabeth asked:
> I'm guessing that there are files on planning a feast menu somewhere in
> the Floroguim?

I think there are several files that probably fit this category in the
FEASTS section. For instance:
Fst-Menus-art     (11K)  4/15/99    "On Rules for Feast Menus"
                                      by Lord Daniel Raoul le Vascon du Navarre.
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with your
local
                                       butcher.
headcooks-msg     (94K)  7/ 2/99    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.

There are also some files with general ideas and hints about feasts such as:
feasts-msg       (117K)  5/17/96    Ideas and comments for SCA feasts.
feast-decor-msg   (17K)  6/17/99    Decorating the feasthall.
feast-ideas-msg   (42K)  1/19/98    Ideas for SCA feasts.
feast-serving-msg(100K)  5/21/99    Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.
feasts-fish-msg    (7K)  9/14/99    Serving fish at SCA feasts.

For some examples and menus of feasts I thought were notable for one reason
or another take a look at this file and the many articles about individual
feasts in this section:
feast-menus-msg   (53K) 11/ 3/98    Feast menus from various SCA feasts.

> After reading the discussion recently on good and bad feasts I
> want to make sure that I plan this as carefully as I would a modern dinner party
> or reception and not just throw together unrelated dishes.

Well some of the experiences in this file might help you get an idea of
what to watch out for. At the very least, they should make you sigh with
relief that no matter what happens things shouldn't be this bad...
fst-disasters-msg (36K)  4/20/99    Tales of SCA feasts that were disasters.

> The pamplet "Traveling Dysshes" is this available?

Yes and I think it is good as a starting point for bigger feasts but I
think it is more useful for ideas for pot lucks. I think it may be mentioned
in this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section:
cookbooks-SCA-msg (15K)  7/26/99    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.

I know I've tossed some big chunks of info to you, but I believe you said
you had a while before your feast. Please let me know if I can help you
with any of this.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: