SC - travelogues

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 14 11:02:27 PDT 1999

Hello the list!

Thomas, that was a really nice description of travelogues which you sent in.
  I'd like to point out, though, that it's worth taking some period writings
with a pinch or so of salt.

There is a beautiful text I saw a couple of years ago of a portuguese (?)
explorer who travelled overland to Ethiopia in about the 15th century.  He
plainly did not know what all the foods were that he was fed or saw growing
in the fields, and simply gave them the names of the nearest European
equivalent, which really seems unlikely considering the cultivation
requirements of the relevant plants (eg. water).  For him, the species
weren't relevant - he was merely recording the fact that they were growing
food.

OTOH, there were some travelogue writers who really are reliable, and
personally I'd dive into them nose-first.

Cairistiona