SC - [Fwd: Re: EK: And Speaking of Exchequer Policies...]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 14 10:48:21 PDT 1999

Nick Sasso wrote:

> Serve the many roast pork and serve the  to the high table spit roasted suckling pig with an armored cock astride.  You meet the letter of the argument and meet the spirit of our hobby.  The royals almost always share anyway.
>
> Should any real documentation be brought to light. . . please share with the rest so we all can avoid the condeming finger shaken toward our food.

I don't have the material in front of me, but I'm almost certain I've
seen more than one reference in recipe sources, menus, and descriptions
of feasts to practices like serving a quarter bird to commons and a
whole bird to the great lords. There are also accounts of dishes being
reserved for royals and other nobs, some being clearly reserved and
others merely having names suggesting they may have been. There was
recently a discussion on the EK list about dillegrout, which, it is
said, is supposed to be served at every English coronation feast. It's
not clear if everyone eats it or just the new monarch. The ingredients
as described by Leonard Wibberly in his book on English Coronations (I
forget the title) suggest it's pretty much like blancmanger. My
suspicion, based on the name of the dish, is that it is a holdover
practice of the Anglo-Saxons, for whom the ingredients, including
almonds and rosewater, might have been a bit more difficult to obtain
than they were after the Norman Conquest and the Crusades. This is pure
speculation, though.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy