SC - Period Beet Recipes (was: summer feast)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 17 18:19:31 PDT 1999

Lorix commented:
> Thankyou, its always nice to know who to contact for what and when I start this in
> mid Jan I'll probably be taking you up on the offer.

I'm sorry, I didn't realized that canning or preserving was of interest to
you. Both
have been talked about on this list. While what most folks think of as canning is
indeed post 1600, the methods are useful in the SCA for preserving foods until
they are needed for a particular feast. Also, potted meats were being done late
in period and they do depend on the same principles as modern canning - keeping
the air away from the food being preserved. They often sealed the foods with
butter. Unfortunately, most of the potting seems to have been done with cold
foods, sometimes allowing the foods to be invaded with fresh beasties before
they were sealed.

Anyway, for some more information on preserving and canning of foods, take a
look at these files in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
canning-msg       (32K) 11/11/98    Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.
drying-foods-msg  (35K)  8/24/99    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
food-storage-msg  (91K)  4/ 9/98    Storing and preserving food in period. Non-
                                      refrigerated food for camping and Pennsic.
pickled-food-msg  (67K)  9/28/99    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
stockfish-msg     (72K)  8/30/99    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.
meat-smoked-msg    (8K)  9/17/99    Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.

There is a fairly good book edited by C. Anne Wilson which is in the "Food and
Society" series on preserving of food. It is Vol. 4 in the series and is
called "Waste Not, Want Not, Food Preservation from Early Times to the
Present day."
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: