SC - period Hungarian dishes

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 23:50:22 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/18/99 8:17:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

<< This, to my mind, kind of tells
 me, as it did to Ms. Lorwin, that the beet root was
 prefered.

 Huette >>

Possibly. It merely tells me that Gerard himself was partial to beetroots.
:-) Regarding the recipe you posted it sounds  good but what justification is
there for the use of Cheddar cheese? Did this cheese exist at that time? I
was under the impression that cheddaring was well out of period. What other
cheese would be a better choice and more periodlike?

I am sorry for so many questions but I am singularly unimpressed with early
modern cooking and sometimes either have glossed over many of the details or
do not have the sources readily available to confirm or negate any particular
observation or interpretation.

Ras