SC - Another Chard Name

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Oct 19 11:56:35 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/19/99 9:20:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
varmstro at zipcon.net writes:

<<  In modern times I
 would suggest the fridge or canning in a sterilized container. >>

This is an excellent example of a "cannable" recipe. Start with fresh beets,
boil in water until the skin begins to peel back a little. You can test this
by  taking one out (use a hotmit ) and just rub the beet with your thumb, if
it's ready the skin will just give way. Cut off the hard stem bump and if
small enough just set it aside if the beets are larger than 2" I suggest
quatering them or slicing even (up to cook, but be careful not to overdo the
step with the liquid and spices, you may have beet mush if the pieces are too
small). Make your liquid ingredient, add beets to it bring to a boil. Spoon
beets into sterilized jars, pour juice over and seal. The seals will pop down
to show the escape of air and the seal being complete, often this is a loud
pop and has been known to scare people who weren't expecting it, sometimes
you don't even notice. Always use sterilized lids and new seals. They will
most likely keep 2 years. If any colour changes occur, any mold, if the seal
pops or is not flat  discard the contents in the garbage, do not throw into
the toilet or down the sink. I have chosen to toss the whole jar as a
precaution. I was taught by my grandmother to dig up a section of your back
yard to dispose of "bad" can's but feel this may jeopardize animals or ground
water.

Hauviette