SC - A Winter food

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Tue Oct 19 19:27:58 PDT 1999

Sure, i start off with my personal whine, but there's some on-topic
stuff after it :-)

[begin personal whine]

Sheesh, i've been off-line since Thursday the 7th, almost 2 weeks!

I was out-of-town for over 4 days going to and performing at and
returning home from the 3-day Las Vegas Age of Chivalry pseudo Renn
Faire - it's a looong drive from SF area and we don't like Las Vegas,
but the Faire is good for the actors' guild i'm in.

Got home Monday a bit after noon. Started up the computer Tuesday,
only to find my OS first flaky, then unbootable.

So Wednesday PM i took it to my local friendly shop (really, they're
nice folks) which is supposed to have a 2 day turn-around, since i
didn't know if my drive was dead or only comatose. Apparently my
internal hard disk had a MAJOR directory corruption, such that,
according to the tech guy, although my disk was reformatable, all my
data was irretrievable (groan, gnash).

That means i lost *all* the messages from this list that i'd saved
since i subbed back in, i think, March of this year - and this is one
prolific list !!!

I finally got the computer home late Saturday, only to discover that
the tech guy who "fixed" my drive neglected to install a CD-ROM
driver, so i spent the weekend unable to reload not only my modem
driver, but all my apps, etc. At least i had *most* of my impt. files
and some apps on my external drive - but *not* my e-mail (sigh).

I didn't have any hard-copy info for my weird-o ISP, i couldn't even
get their phone number from the information operator - i had to get
my daughter in college in PA to log on and give me the dial-up
numbers, etc. from their web-site.

When i finally installed the driver yesterday evening, i couldn't log
on because the info on their web site was wrong, and they only offer
tech support between 8 AM and 5 PM. So i got them on the phone this
AM (Tues 19th) and got the correct info and here i am, at last...

Sorry for this whine, but something that should have taken a couple
days to fix ended up taking almost a week.

[end personal whine]

[Sort of on topic]
No, i'm not asking for all of those lost tantalizing recipes and
titillating tales of culinary adventure :-) And i probably can't even
remember which ones i'd really like to have back - there were just
too many...

BUT

2 requests:

1) Could the poster whose e-mail is something like "Wolfsmom" please
privately send me the fried potatoes for breakfast from Pennsic
description (yeah, yeah, OOP, but i love potatoes when i'm not at SCA
events)

2) Could those who participated in the pickled cherries/ vinegared
cherry drink, etc. thread please send me the various
recipes/descriptions of preparations.

If i recall anything else, i may be asking for others - otherwise, i
will be checking the Florilegium for info...

[Really on topic, finally!]
Well, on to better and tastier things. Beside the various authentic
cook books i've gradually been acquiring, i also now have the
inauthentic but intriguing Hispano-Jewish "A Drizzle of Honey" and
the Sicilian "Pomp and Sustenance" in preparation for an
Islamo-Siculo-Norman feast for the Shire in March for Sophonisba's
birthday.

Again, besides the Muslim recipes in Lord Cariadoc's book, does
anyone have any ideas for sources for Norman, Sicilian, Muslim, and
12th c. Mediterranean Jewish food?

Thanks for any help,

Anahita Gauri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi