SC - scallions/shallots

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 05:47:33 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/20/99 7:04:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
parlei at algonet.se writes:

<<  since there is much more nutrition (as in carbohydrates)
 in roots than in leaves perhaps it was worth collecting the roots after
 all? >>

Possibly but 'nutrition' is a modern concept. I would suspect that the mass
of food a plant could provide for a meal would have been a more common reason
for collecting and preparing any given food. If the roots were medicinally
superior to the leaves in some way, I could see using them with regularity.

OTOH, as with many root crops, it may have been a food for the poor and for
animal feed with the occasional recipe appearing as an oddity. Whether eaten
or not, beetroot does not appear to be a common food item on the tables of
the wealthy during the middle ages if that can be judged by the number of
recipes which specifically call for its use.

Ras