SC - Russian dishes

Richard Keith keith.78 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 24 07:25:10 PDT 1999

Huette wrote:
> If you
>have any information about the eating of beetroots
>during  period, whether or not they were eaten, I
>would love to see what you have.  Thanks.

Here is the recipe from the Koge Bog, with my translation.

Røde Beder at indsalte. Først skal leggis i en Brendevijnspande 2.
Tegelsteene paa Kanten / der paa lagt nogle stycker Træ / oc siden gufuis
vand paa / dog saa at det icke naer træerne: Offuen paa samme træer skulle
Bederne leggis / oc siden Hielmen paasæt. Leg der under en god ild / saa
bederne aff jemen kunde kogis / dog icke forbløde. Naar de saa er sødne /
reengiorde oc kolde / skulle de skæris vdi tønde skiffuer / der til Peberrod
vdi smaa stycker (som hacket speck) oc skal aff fornæffnde skaarne Beder
først et law vdi en ny glasseret Potte nedleggis: Derpaa strøes aff samme
Peberrod / Danske Kommen / smaa støtte Peber /oc ringe salt: Siden leggis
huert andet law Beder / oc huert andet fornæffnde Vrter strøes der offuer.
Siden giffues offuer god Øledicke / eller helten Øledicke / oc helten
Vijnedicke / saa megit Bedin kand betæcke. Siden leggis et Log offuer med et
reent tyngsel / oc offuerbindis med et reent Klæde /oc hensættis paa en
bequemme sted.Nogle faa Dage der effter kunde de brugis: Dog rør icke der i
met bare Fingre.

How to pickle beetrots. First take a distilling pan an place two bricks in
it. Then arrange some wooden sticks on top of them and add water to the pan,
but not so much that it reaches the sticks. Arrange the beetrots on top of
the sticks and place the lid on top of the pan. Put on a good fire so the
beetrots will be cooked in the steam, but without bleeding. When they are
cooked, cleaned and cold, they should be cut into thin slices, and some
horseradish should be cut into small pieces (as when lardons are chopped
up). Take an new glazed jar and first place a layer of the aforementioned
sliced beetrots in it; then sprinkle some horseradish, caraway, finely
crushed pepper and a small amount of salt over this. Add more layers of
beetrots and the aforementioned spices. Then good ale vinegar is poured
over, or half ale vinegar, half wine vinegar, as much as needed to cover the
beetrots. Then place a lid with a clean weight on top on the jar, tie a
clean cloth over it and store in a convenient place. The beetrots can be
used in a few days; but do not stir them with bare fingers.

Nanna