SC - Russian dishes

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:17:32 PDT 1999

> Parmentier is said to have conceived the idea of planting potatoes in
> gardens owned by the Crown, under heavily armed guard. At night the
> guards went home, and the locals figured there must be something pretty
> special in those gardens, or they wouldn't be under guard. The guards,
> returning to their posts in the morning, to discover that potatoes had
> been stolen during the night. Which was, of course, the plan all along.
>
> Adamantius

The version of this story I heard was in early 19th cen. Germany, where
the peasantry rejected the new food plant, and had to be forced to plant
and tend the new crop by the military, with military guard until the
first crop was in, and the potato had been eaten... after which,
aparently, there were no more problems.
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
- - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
http://web.raex.com/~agincort