SC - OT Where are Mordonna's Priorities?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:01:03 PDT 1999

The first written reference to white potatoes occurs in 1553.  A specimen
brought to Spain  from Pizzaro's Peruvian expedition is supposed to have
reached Pope Paul III around 1540 and from there been given to a
horticulturalist from France.  There is evidence that they were used as
starvation rations at one of the hospitals in Seville in the 16th Century.
And there are supposed to be some late 16th Century German recipes (about
which there was an interesting thread several months ago where one of the
cited sources apparently does not have the stated recipe, IIRC).

There is some conflict about when the white potato came into general use.
It may have been used in Western Europe to replace crops destroyed during
the Thirty Years War, but learned debates from the same period suggest that
the potato was in use but not common fare.  During the 18th Century,
potatoes became common fare in much of Europe.  Russia was a late adopter of
the potato and it was forced on the Russian peasantry by armed troops,
probably so the nobles could export more grain.

The increased use of the potato as poverty fare would be consistent with
Braudel's documentation of a trend of falling wages and rising food prices
from the late 16th Century to the late 19th Century.

In any event, the white potato was common peasant fare across Europe by the
19th Century just in time to start mass immigrations to the United States
during the potato famines of the 1840's.

Bear