SC - Recipe 4-Weekend of Wisdom

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Oct 26 18:46:21 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

I had the great privilege and honor of working alongside Lord Ras as
Co-kitchen Steward at the Weekend of Wisdom event in the Shire of Abhainn
Ciach Ghlais, in the Kingdom of Aethelmarc, this last weekend.  The Feast, as
posted on this list was "A French Repast."  It was sold out days before the
event took place.

Lord Ras is an excellent Teacher, Steward and Artisan.  His leadership and
organization skills lead us through the feast preparation with poise and
seasoned expertise.  From this Cook's list, Cadoc and Lady Seton also worked
with us as did Kathryn a revered and older Lady, and her grandson Jeff, from
the Shire.  HRH Thorstein and several other hard working individuals also
assisted.

Both Ras and myself took the two main meat dishes, Ras taking the George
Bruet and myself, with Kathryn's assistance, taking on the Goat dish.  Jeff
did a spectacular job of cooking and endoring the Boar's head (half yellow
and half green) and also carried the "piece de resistance" up to the High
Table amid gasps of surprise and delight from the feasters.  The flambe
effect that emanated from the Enraged Boar's mouth into the candlelit dining
hall was truly a magical moment for all of us.  :-)

Cadoc was a quiet steady strength in the kitchen.  He made both the delicious
White Leeks Bruet and the Rissoles (with Jeff's help), and also was always
ready to help in anything that was asked of him.

I want to say also that it is to Ras and all of the cooks' credit that the
feast was accomplished on time, and with no major glitches, (except a switch
in the vegetable and grain dishes between the two platters) as our
preparation time was cut short by some 3 1/2 hours because the hall had to be
closed earlier than anticipated on the Friday night.  We all worked together
like clockwork.  I don't think there could have been a better crew.  :-)  And
I think we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  To me that's what it is all
about. :-)

Finally, I have to take this opportunity to send my congratulations to Lord
Ras on receiving his Keystone.  He has provided so much service through his
years with the SCA that such recognition - and more - is long overdue.  I am
very glad that he is finally receiving just rewards for his long and selfless
efforts. :-)

Elysant