SC - um, LONG: Meat Brewets & the cooking of meat

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 01:54:43 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/27/1999 8:38:47 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
acrouss at gte.net writes:

<<
 As I and the rest of my household are very busy when we're at SCA events,
 we often dont do a hot breakfast, but instead do a "brunch" of the lunch
 foods mentioned above, along with some harboiled eggs and some sticky rolls.

My household is also VERY busy during WAR!  I am the only non-combatant (and
I will soon be joining their ranks, when Brother William finishes my bow.)
and we all volunteer (we have several people who are deputy autocrats for
Estrella.)  Because of our busy schedules I will not allow anyone to leave
camp without a good hot breakfast, because they may not eat again until after
dark.
I usually make a grain porridge of some sort .  You can find pre-mixed bags
of the stuff at most groceries, or go to the bulk foods section and mix your
own.  I serve it with honey, and butter, and I usually throw some raisins and
pine nuts into the pot.At Estrella XIII (the Monsoon War) on Sunday morning
after our food tent had been inundated (not to mention the now famous
floating air mattress bit) I drove into Goodyear and bought instant oatmeal
and enough dry firewood to make a fire, because we REALLY needed something
warm in us right away.
For those who do not know, Estrella is held in the Desert of Atenveldt in
February, our coldest month.  Daytime temps can be in the nineties, but are
usually in the eighties.  Lows are in the thirties and forties.  You can
expect at least one windstorm and one day of rain and you'll probably wake up
one morning with a rime of ice on all the standing water.  Biggest health
problem (despite the rumors of respiratory problems plaguing the last one) is
heat exhaustion, followed by sunburn.

Mordonna The Cook
SunDragon Western Reaches
Atenveldt