SC - Recipes 5 & 6

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Thu Oct 28 11:33:54 PDT 1999

Ras is right.  Keep in mind that there are apples for cooking, apples for
juice, apples for cider, apples for sauce, apples for eating fresh, and
there is Red Delicious for looking at.  (It actually used to be good to
eat, but has been ruined by breeding for perfect appearance at the expense
of both flavor and texture.)

Supermarkets out here in the West offer relatively few varieties; maybe you
get a better selection in the East.  There are several thousand cultivars,
but only a dozen or so are widely grown commercially nowadays.

Northern Spys are good, as Ras says, for many uses.  For cooking, Granny
Smith isn't bad - it has a tart acidity and firm texture that holds up well.

Colin